Saturday, July 24, 2010

Red and Blue Tomato and Olive Salad

I love tomatoes... they're one third of the best thing on earth.. the BLT.  They're not always good, as we know, but during the summer, they smell good and they taste just fantastic.  I would like to grow some for myself, but I have cats who get into everything and I hate for them to hurt themselves.  This week, I was able to get my hands on some really great beefstake tomatoes.  Given that I wanted some simple recipe for them and I was craving blue cheese, I came up with this.  I think it's easy enough and lightning fast and would go great with something off the grill.  Hell, you might even try grilling the tomatoes just a bit.

Ingredients:
  • About 2 cups of tomato, cut in a large dice
  • 3 T. chopped cured black olives
  • 3 T. blue cheese crumbles
  • 1/4 red onion, sliced very thinly
  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T. balsamic vinegar
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of pepper
In the bottom of a bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  Give it a good whisk.  Drop in the rest.  Using a fork or spoon, gently fold everything so things are well distributed and coated in the dressing.  That's it.

When I tasted it, I thought it would go great with a grilled steak.  Or maybe will some asparagus pieces.  Mmmm!

The olives and blue cheese are salty enough, but maybe some chopped bacon on top too would be good. 

Serve.  Eat.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment