Monday, January 17, 2011

Primal Scones - Two Ways

Being introverted, single, and childless, I spend a lot of time on the weekends scouring the web for various blogs, recipes, ideas, news, whatever....  Anyway, I happened to come across Pantry Bites and this Mini Raisin Scones recipe.  Well, DUH!!!!  What a great idea, especially for those of us to don't like to take time (or don't have the time to take) in the morning to fix breakfast before heading out for our day. 

I didn't try the original recipe, so I can't comment on it (though I'm sure it's just smashing, as one of my British clients says often), but my adjusted recipe definitely turned out smashingly as far as I'm concerned.  Grab a couple of these and some mini-egg cupcakes or sausages and I'm on my way.  For fair warning, these don't have the crumbly texture that traditional scones have, but I much prefer that myself.  If you prefer a drier scone, you might try reducing the coconut milk a bit.

Cranberry Lemon Scones
  • 1-1/2 cups almond flour, sort of packed into the cup
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 4 T. dried cranberries
  • 2 T. honey
  • zest of 1 lemon (mine came to about 1-1/2 t. zest)
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 T. coconut milk
  • 1/8 t. salt
Cinnamon Raisin  Scones

  • 1-1/2 cups almond flour, sort of packed into the cup 
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 4 T. raisins
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  •  2 T. honey 
  • 2 T. coconut milk
  • 1/8 t. salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Combine everything and then scoop out the dough, by tablespoons, and place on a lined baking sheet.  NOTE:  I used my cookie/meatball scoop which holds 4 teaspoons, so mine were a bit bigger, and obviously made a few less scones than if you use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough.

Once you have all your scones measured out, wet your palm just a bit and pat them down a bit.  They're going to rise and spread in the oven and if they're too tall (i.e. if you don't pat them down), they'll take longer to cook through and the bottoms will get too dark. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Serve.  Eat.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment