Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roasting Seasoning

I love seasoning mixes.  It's so much more convenient to be able to sprinkle on some seasoning mix than to dig through the cabinet to find those individual spice jars.  Don't get me wrong, I make my own mixes, but I still prefer that to sprinkling on herbs and spices one at a time. 

This is a seasoning mix for roasted chicken that came off a recipe at allrecipes.com.  I've long lost the actual recipe on the site, but I still have the most pitiful looking piece of scrap paper with the seasoning mix recipe - tweaked to my preferences, of course. 

I love to season chicken with this.  I sprinkle some on my stuffed jalapenos.  I roast vegetables with the seasoning.  I sprinkle it over sliced cucumber.  If I could find a way to bathe in it, I just might do it.  Either way, this is now my go-to mix.

Finally, just a note about the paprika.  I use regular paprika - not smoked - because that's my preference.  I did try it with smoked paprika, but I just didn't find the seasoning as good... the smokey flavor was too overwhelming for the rest of the spices.  If you like the smoked variety, I would recommend making a single batch of this, leaving out the paprika.  Then, separate it into two portions and add regular to one half and smoked to the other.  Then, just give them a whirl on chicken and see which you like more.  You might even do 1/2 t. regular, 1/2 t. smoked in the recipe.  Whatever blows your skirt up.
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. paprika
  • 3/4 t. black pepper
  • 1/2 t. onion powder
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/2 t. thyme
  • 1/4 t. ground rosemary
  • 1/4 t. chipotle pepper
Combine everything and use however you'd like. 

Serve.  Eat.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment